Each Tool is a special one & and unique one. And that’s why we design each Tool for its own unique function. We see what is the process on this tool and then design an optimum way to hold the body panels, so that the right Geometry Tolerances of the assembly are achieved.
Not just for its own function, but each Tool also has to be evaluated for, how it fits with the overall process of the Zone. Special consideration is put to seemingly simple but very important points,
- where and how it is mounted
- what are the clearances from nearby Tools and other equiments
- what happens when the clamps open and close
- who is working on it a Robot or a Man, from which direction and so on.
Many a times, the design process starts with the buy Clamp Plan buy off, either with our internal Process & Layout engineers or with the Customer. Then unit by unit the Tool is designed. While the Key focus is on functionality of each unit, special importance is also given to
- manufacturability of each make part
- how easily they can be assembled
- how easy would it be for the Quality person to certify
- the completeness of information for right ordering for the Purchase parts.
All our Tool designs are checked in 3D stage by a “Senior Person Review” and in 2D stage by a Quality Checking team before the drawings are released for manufacturing.
Cladding, Manual & Automatic
Body Side Grippers
Turn Tables, Trunions
Body Side Lines
Table Top, Hybrid Hemming
Spot welding, Clinching
And also speed, so that each equipment in the Cell, including the Robots, are effectively utilized.
Of course, there are other constraints e.g. level of Automation, available space, …
Based on the geometry of the Product, cycle time, available area, planned capex, …
And many times, we keep you one step further, by giving the right engineering feedback to the product development team about upcoming manufacturing challenges.